2006-11-19

Vehicle Body Hand Forming Class


From: Wray Schelin [mailto:wesparts@charter.net]

Jim,

I have been receiving your newsletter for some time now and I have enjoyed the information. Thanks! I see that you are interested in low production methods of sheet metal shaping. I wonder if you would consider attending or know someone else who would like to attend my sheet metal shaping class. I have a very novel approach to hand forming sheet metal that is very easy to learn. The quality of the panels produced in my class are of the highest quality possible. See my email flyer below.

Here is the link to my Ebay ad for my classes. Check it out and see some of the pictures of projects that have been made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120005438662&rd=1&rd=1

In addition to my regular classes I will soon be annoucing a new type of class where the student can make a whole car ( multiple classes will be required) body and keep his work

I also will be offering soon a complete line of state of the art
sheet metal shaping tools.

Regards,

Wray Schelin 508-347-7749

I offer sheetmetal shaping classes at least once a
month for up to four attendees at $325.00 tuition per day,
per person. The class is 12 hours per day (9:00AM -12:30PM,
1:00PM to 5:00PM, 6:30PM to 12:00 AM, (earlier quiting time if 
you get tired). You can attend only one day, two, or all three
days, your choice. Lunch, soda, bottled water, and materials 
used (aluminum and steel sheet,and abrasives) during the class 
are included.
 
To insure a spot, a deposit of $325.00 is required.  
My shop is heated and air-condioned.
 
The next class will be December 8th, 9th, and 10th. The January
2007 dates are the 12th, 13th, and the 14th.The February 2007
class dates are the 9th, 10th, and 11th. Please let me know
which dates are best for you and I'll try to accommodate your
needs for classes or one-on-one instruction.
 
In addition to the group class, I also offer one-on-one 
instruction while working exclusively on your panel or 
project (fender-sized or less) that you bring or ship in. 
Cost for this hands-on instruction and service is $500.00 
per day for a twelve-hour working day, $400.00 for an 
eight-hour working day.  Materials used, steel or 
aluminum sheet,lunch, soda,and bottled water are included
(dates are open to the needs of the attendee).
 
Here is the description of what you can expect to learn at 
my group sheetmetal shaping class and at my one-on-one panel
/project service:
 
It doesn't matter if you are a novice or have been shaping
sheetmetal for some time, in both cases I can help you 
learn new skills quickly. I teach in a very easy to 
understand manner using many illustrations and actual examples. 
I can show you how to get results that are equal to any of 
the best sheetmetal shapers practicing today.
 
You will have a chance to use any piece of equipment in my
shop so you will experience the full spectrum of the 
different methods possible to get the same results, plus learn
a lot about how each machine works. This will help you make 
the right decisions when considering purchasing equipment. 
This can save you from spending thousands of dollars on 
equipment that is not needed or poorly made.
 
You can bring a project for you to work on with my guidance,
as long as it is fender-sized or less. You can ship your 
project in via UPS beforehand if it is too large to bring 
in person. Often times the value of the work completed on 
projects exceeds the cost of the class.
 
I encourage all that attend to make sure they bring a notebook
and a camera so they can record the most important rules 
about working sheetmetal which are revealed during the class.  
 
On day one I explain all of the theory needed to super 
accurately shape sheetmetal, demonstrate the many techniques, 
and show how the tools are used.
 
On day two and three you put all that you learned from the 
first day to work building a project.  I will guide you 
through all of the techniques, show you how to correct errors
and show how the same results and quality can be achieved by 
using different methods and tools. What you will learn will
exceed your expectations! I will also focus on any aspect of
the craft that you feel you need more help with.
 
Over the course of the three days ( 36 hours total shop time )
I cover the following:
 
How to understand what a shape is in sheetmetal and how to 
break it down into pieces you can make on the equipment/tools 
that you own.
 
How to weld panels together so that you can achieve a 
super-smooth, bondo-free surface. Correct methods of tig 
welding, mig welding, and gas welding will be covered.
 
Use of the English wheel, air planishing hammer, and
helve power hammer. 
 
Hand shaping methods including use of a post dolly,
slappers, mallets, and various hammers.
 
How to shrink sheetmetal properly when using a helve power 
hammer, Erco kick shrinker, and also hand tuck shrinking with 
tucking tools. Results will be compared between each method.
 
How to planish sheetmetal using an air planishing hammer, 
English wheel, helve hammer, and on a post dolly.
 
How to properly stretch and shrink sheetmetal without damaging 
the metal.
 
How to make flexible shape patterns and how to use them.
 
How to add details and features on panels like beads,
wired edges,hemmed edges, flanged edges, and reveal lines.
 
The different types of bucks and how to make and use them.
 
How to make a patch panel and weld it in.
 
How to properly remove dents.
 
How to use a shrinking disc.
 
How to do superb work with just a minimum of tools!
 
Please e-mail me back if you would like to attend.
 
Check out my Pro Shaper Tools and Videos Ebay store .
 
 
http://stores.ebay.com/Pro-Shaper-Tools-and-Videos
 
 
Also check out the pictures of past classes that I have posted
in my Ebay ad for my classes.
 
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sheet-Metal-Shaping-Class-English-Wheel-Planishing_W0QQitemZ120005438662QQihZ002QQcategoryZ92150QQcmdZViewItem
 
Thanks,
 
Wray Schelin   
 
I have over 40 years total collector car restoration experience
having restored some of the finest 1930s vintage collector cars
including Mercedes, Packards, Duesenburgs, Rolls Royce, Auburn, 
Stutz and others. 
 
The last 18 plus years I have been hand shaping and fabricating
replacement XK 120,140,and 150 Jaguar replacement panels and 
marketing them to collectors throughout the US and Canada.
 
I hope to soon embark on a new career of designing high end 
modern furniture, sculpture, and decorative household items, 
making them primarily with bronze, copper, brass, aluminum, 
and stainless sheetmetal, using traditional hand shaping and 
fabrication methods coupled with CNC methods and solid 
modeling CAD.
 
I'm also going to start to offer for sale this year a full line
of sheetmetal shaping equipment that will be innnovative and 
cutting edge in design.
 
Accommodations and travel information:
 
My town has at least 15 motels (Sturbridge is a tourist town) 
so accommodations are not a problem. Room rates range from 
a low of $42.00 for the smaller motels to a high end of $150.00 per night.  
This site will be helpful:  http://www.sturbridge.org/
 
Summer rates are now in effect so lodging rates will be higher
than the winter rates.
 
A lot of my students have been staying at these inexpensive 
motels which are about 3 miles from my house/shop :
 
 Rodeway Inn 
 
172 Main Street, Route 131
 
P.O. Box 849
 
Sturbridge, MA 01566
 
(508) 347-9673 
 
 
 
Scottish Inns
140 Main Street, Route 131
Sturbridge, MA 01566
(508) 347-9514 
Fax: (508) 347-9337
Email: mailto:Patel142@charter.net
Also check out  http://www.roomsaver.com     they offer coupons for
motel rooms. You will need to fill in "Massachusetts" and "Sturbridge"
on their drop down menu. Currently they have coupons for 9 different
Sturbridge motels starting from as low as $40.00 per night.
 
My address:
 
Wray Schelin
189 Fiske Hill Rd.
Sturbridge, MA 01566      Phone: 508-347-7749
 
 
 
The closest airport and the best airport to use by far is: 
Bradley International (which is the airport for Hartford, 
Connecticut) it's about 40 minutes away from my shop and 
it's all interstate highway driving.   
http://www.bradleyairport.com/home/home.php 
 
 
 
 
Boston's Logan Airport is about 80 minutes away.   
http://www.massport.com/logan/ 

No comments: